You may not realize it, but Minnesota has a rich history in candy! Although they are no longer located here, Mars candy was started in Minnesota and it was in Minnesota that the Milky Way was invented. Although they have left our sweet state, we still have a wide variety of local candy to choose from. Here are just a few to keep your sweet tooth happy.
- Pearson’s Candy Company – Known for old-timey treats including Nut Goodies and Salted Nut Rolls.
- Chocolat Celeste – Known for their artistic customized chocolates almost too good looking to eat… almost.
- Sugar Sugar Candy – Known for their modern candy shop filled with high-end candy great for any occasion.
- Kenny’s – Licorice and Gummy candy in any flavor you can imagine.
- Abdallah Candies – Seasonal candies that make a perfect gourmet gift.
- St. Croix Chocolate Co. – Professional chocolatiers creating delicious delacacies to accompany your trip through the St. Croix River Valley.
- B.T. McElrath – Artisan Chocolates built from the ground up with the purist available ingredients.
- Candyland – not a manufacturer, but it has to be mentioned.
- Just Truffles – Just truffles. Just darn good truffles.
- Regina’s Fine Candies – Unique candies make unique gifts for friends, family, clients… or, perhaps, your favorite GetKnit Guru.
From the unmistakable bright-red-wrapped Salted Nut Roll by Pearson’s to the customized gourmet chocolates from Chocolat Celeste, the Minnesotan candy-lover has no reason to be in want.
If you are looking for the perfect treat to celebrate a special event, we recommend checking out Chocolat Celeste, St. Croix Chocolate Co., B.T. McElrath or Just Truffles. Perhaps you are looking for something unexpected for that special someone, in which case you can’t go wrong with the point-scoring treats from Abdallah or Regina’s Fine Candies. None of these boutique candy creators will dissapoint no matter what the situation and should be a weapon in your special occasion arsenal.
Perhaps you want to satisfy your sweet tooth day-in and day-out, in which case we encourage you to swing by Candyland to try different delights from across the country. If you are lucky, you might be able to find some of Kenny’s deluxe licorice and gummy treats. If you can’t make it to the candy store, just swing by any convenience store for the oldest treats on our list, a Pearson’s Nut Goodie or Salted Nut Roll. St. Paul’s very own Pearson’s Candy Company has been satisfying sweet teeth in the Twin Cities for over 100 years. Starting with the Nut Goodie, Pearson’s began manufacturing their treats in the early 1900’s and continue their time-honored tradition to this day.
At GetKnit, we believe in eating and drinking local. So, get out there, Minnesota, and try some of the most distinguished and delicious candy in the Midwest.